And for our one year anniversary we are going here.
We really wanted to get out of town for a few days but didn't want to spend too much money. We found both of these hotels and really great rates at: travelzoo.com
I originally wanted to take a longer trip to the Oregon coast, but it's not a good time financially or with B's work schedule. So I will make plans and we will do that some other time. I would say for our next anniversary, but I don't know that the weather is great in Oregon at that time of year, so I don't know when that trip will be. We already have some trips planned for next year, both to Mexico for a family trip and our friends' wedding. I'd also like to rent a house on Cape Cod for a week next summer.
Less interesting plans for this weekend include a trip to Costco for paper items and whatever else we might come upon, and a trip to Macy's. They are having a home sale and I am desiring some white sheets and these:I'll have to see what B says about buying more stuff.
Successful Recipe of the week: From The Splendid Table (sign up for emails at NPR online)
Supper Salad with Paprika Onions
- 1 medium to large red onion, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1-1/4 teaspoons sweet paprika (Hungarian, if possible)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup rice, cider or wine vinegar
- 4 big handfuls mixed salad greens (could be romaine, bibb, curly endive, leaf lettuce, oak leaf, arugula, and/or spinach), washed and dried
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 small cucumber, peeled and cut into small chunks
- 1/2 cup salted sunflower seeds
- 1 cup shredded Asiago or sharp cheddar cheese, or cooked edamame (green soybeans)
- 2 cups cooked meat, fish, poultry or other protein (this could be take out chicken, barbecue, leftover roast, marinated tofu, or leftover sauté. Heat up with any sauce or pan juices if you have time. Those extra flavorings are pure gold in this dish.)
- Good tasting extra-virgin olive oil
- More vinegar, salt and pepper, if needed
1. In a 3-cup nonmetal bowl, combine the onion, paprika, salt, pepper, and vinegar. Cover with a paper towel and microwave 3 minutes on high.
2. Meanwhile combine all the other ingredients, except the olive oil and extra seasonings, in a large bowl.
3. Once the onions are done, add to the salad with 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Toss and taste. The salad will probably need more vinegar, salt, and pepper. Taste your way to a pleasing balance. Serve heaped on dinner plates.