Monday, December 10, 2007

Muppet Christmas

I was reading the blog Finslippy and she has a post up about The Muppet Christmas Carol (which apparently gave her son nightmares). A commenter posted a link to YouTube and the John Denver Christmas episode of the Muppet Show. I followed the link and watched a bit of it and, to my surprise, found myself welling up with tears. I had to stop watching.
It reminded me of the time, in high school, when someone told me that they were going to give Ernie AIDS and kill him off of Sesame Street. I had to run to the bathroom, where I promptly burst into tears.
How did I end up so emotionally attached to puppets? It can't just be me. I know other people out there in their 30's and older are still completely into the muppets. I so look forward to sharing the shows and movies with my kids.
Is there anything even remotely as cool out there now? I mean, I know Yo Gabba Gabba, or whatever that is, is cool and all, but that's not really the same thing. Will kids growing up now see Dora the Explorer on YouTube when they grow up and burst into tears?

No comments: